Updated: May 1, 2022
Hair oils have been used for generations in India to stimulate hair growth and address a variety of other hair issues. Growing up in India, most of us spent a significant amount of time putting oil in our hair and getting head massages. And, while many South Asian women oil their hair as a cultural tradition, are we doing it the correct way?
Let us take you on a step-by-step guide to the right way of Oiling, Washing and Drying your hair.
- Start with detangling your hair. Brush or comb your hair in small sections, starting at the ends and very gently working your way up. This is to avoid combing hair after applying hair oil as its more fragile and brittle.
- Apply the oil thoroughly from scalp to tips. Massage your scalp lightly for 5-10 minutes.
- Keep the oil for minimum one hour and maximum 4 hours as if you keep any oil more, it attracts
dust and dirt which will eventually affect your hair. Also, don't tie your hair too tightly after applying hair oil. Go for a loose braid or bun.
- Saturate your hair completely with warm, NOT hot, water.
- Squeeze a small amount of shampoo into your palm. Massage it into your scalp until it lathers. Work the shampoo through your hair, focusing on the scalp.
- Rinse your hair and scalp completely.
- Squeeze a small amount of conditioner into the palm of your hand. Spread it evenly through your hair, avoiding the scalp.
- Leave the conditioner in for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly.
- Hair oil should be applied twice or thrice a week depending on your scalp and hair condition.
- Don't avoid conditioning especially when you have frizzy hair.
- Use a soft towel or a soft cotton t-shirt to wrap and dry your hair after every wash.
- When your hair is half dry, apply hair serum and gently detangle it with your fingers.
- Finally comb your hair, preferably with a wide tooth comb, when your hair is fully dry.